Monday, February 4, 2008

From Flounder to Fabulous

Just as my counterpart has already mentioned, my kudos definitely get sent over to the Belltown jewel, the Flying Fish.

I've passed the little corner restaurant on many occasions, but hadn't had the opportunity or the right crowd around to try it out. So, on that blustery night, Tania and I ventured into a brand new sea.

The velvety red atmosphere lent itself to good conversation, matched with a perfect wine from their extensive wine list. I personally appreciated the second tier seating that was perfect for a private party or reception. The night we went had a good crowd in the bar, celebrating a girl's birthday with the best of friends. As Tania and I typically do, we aim to stretch our palate at the same time as satisfying crucial hunger pains.

To this cry we aimed our attention to the crispy, but not overdone, tender calamari, which to my surprise was filled with flavors like cayenne pepper, honey jalapeno and sweet aioli. This complemented the Thai crab cake, that was layered with fresh crab and a creme fraishe sweetly surveying the plate. By the time the main course of fish tacos (one of my personal favorite dishes to try) came around, we were already engaged in a mix of pleasant conversation and the much coveted people watching. My favorite was the four-top of three gents catching up after what seemed to have been a whirlwind conference of some sort. You could tell that for them, the topic of today's seminar was almost more interesting then their shared starter and drinks. Must have been one crazy conference!

To our deep pleasure, the delicious fish tacos arrived in their glory, surrounded by the freshly homemade tortillas and fresh guacamole and tomota salsa. After devouring the first and eyeing the second, the friendly sous chef (I suppose?) brought out a mistake from the kitchen, but a gift to us! Behold, the goodness of seared blackened Albacore tuna! And lo! The tender risotto cake atop a fresh glaze of wasabi-infused cream on a spotless white plate. As Tania gleefully ate the majority of the mustard greens, I simply sat back, closed my eyes and let the wasabi and tuna play a wonderful mix of tunes in my mouth. I must say that although the tuna was by far the best I've had, I did have a hard time leaving the fish tacos all by themselves. While my best friend happily finished off the greens, I left my mark on the guacamole.

The service was pleasant, and even though our waitress could have been a tad more attentive, I definitely rate the Flying Fish as a new choice for fish alternatives, and recommend highly for those that choose to take their seafood experience to a new height.

No comments: