Monday, June 9, 2008

Sonrisa



Seriously?

Chique, Warm, Delicioso!

This bar/restaurant has climbed up my restaurant ratings and is now easily one among the top of the list.

I had the Baked Chile Relleno. A Poblano Pepper stuffed with chicken, apricots and raisins. It was topped with enchilada sauce and salsa verde.

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something definitely not blue.

Something Old.
Sonrisa was old in the best sense possible. It was traditional and wasn't a Mexican Spin-off like so many modern Mexican restaurants are.

Something New.
Infused with tradition was a chique backdrop with flames, plants, a lit bar, modern tables and bar stools and a plate that not only satiated the palate but was also aesthetically pleasing.
As we started with the chips and salsa it was extremely surprising and oh so pleasant to have salsa verde that was thicker and sweeter than most restaurants.
I was blown away with the presentation of my principales when it came out. When the waiter started walking toward our table I assumed that what he was holding in his hand was for the next table down - something much too extravegent for the price that I was paying.
I was wrong! Yes! It was mine!
I cried inside after the first bite.

I have to mention the enchilada sauce. I usually hate enchilada sauce. I almost decided against this dish simply because I was afraid of the enchilada sauce. Sonrisa has washed away my fears. It was fantastic. Along with the sweet golden raisins and apricots, the creamy sour cream, and the neutralizing rice and beans, this tart enchilada sauce provided the perfect topping to a perfectly baked pepper.

Ahh!

Something Borrowed.
With all of the classic Mexican food, Sonrisa used an effect similar to Tapas. They gave you a little bit of everything on large plates with beautiful presentation.

Something Definitely not Blue.
Dinner wouldn't be complete without something sweet. The waiter suggested only the best - a creme brulee style habenero chocolate cheesecake. I have no words other than: go and partake.
A little mandarin marmalade atop a creamy chocolate cheesecake infused with bits of habenero pepper and habenero pepper whipped cream proved to be a great recommendation.

Was it worth it? I can't believe that I would even ask myself this question. It was SO more than worth it.

No comments: